space
Shamrock Hotel
space
Bendigo's famous Shamrock Hotel grew out of the Royal Exchange Restaurant which was opened in 1854 at the height of gold mining in Bendigo. Later a theatre and concert hall were added. The name was soon changed to The Shamrock Concert Hall with its own permanent orchestra, theatre company and conductor. Top artists of the time played in the Concert Hall. In 1858, during a refurbishment, a fire largely gutted the hotel but by 1860 a new Shamrock had been built with an 800 seat concert hall. At ground level were shops and the local Cobb and Co. Office. In 1896 these buildings were demolished and a 100 room Shamrock Hotel was built. It is this building which is shown above.
Today a refurbished Shamrock Hotel is a reminder of those early days in Bendigo and offers first class accommodation to tourists from around the world. The Shamrock also houses a popular bistro, bar, and Diamond Lil's Tabaret Pokies. From the balcony of the Shamrock can be seen the magnificent Post Office and Law Court buildings as well as Rosalond Park, all beautifully maintained and reflecting nineteenth century grandeur in Bendigo.
space
Thumbnails
Pinpandoor Home

Last updated: 28th February 2016