|The Axedale Tavern was opened in 1855 close to the Campaspe River and was a popular
stopping place for both travellers and locals. Across the road was The Raglan Hotel,
built originally as a general store and bakery in 1840, and then as a hotel in 1852.
The Raglan Hotel also served as the Cobb and Co. Way Station. Many years ago the Axedale Pub
and the Raglan Hotel attracted clients along religious lines with Catholics frequenting the
former and Protestants the latter. It is claimed that occasional shots were fired between the
hotels. All that was long ago and nowadays there is complete harmony.